Panama, like any other country, has its gastronomic specialties!
So that you know what to expect, find below 4 popular recipes of
The Typical Cuisine of Panama
- The Ceviche
- The Sancocho
- The Empanadas
- The Ropa Vieja
Get Ready to Enjoy!
Ceviche is a dish made with fish or seafood cooked with lemon juice. You can enjoy it in any local restaurant. There are different kinds of ceviche: white fish, shrimp, octopus, or a mixture of all!
You will need the base of your choice (fish or other seafood), onion cut into pieces, green and red peppers to give a little cheerfulness, hot sauce if you like, salt and pepper, and enough lemon juice to cover it all.
Put everything in a container and marinate for 6-8 hours.
You can then taste your ceviche on crackers! A real treat!
The Sancocho is a chicken-based soup. In complementary ingredients, you need 1 tablespoon of oil of your choice, 3 cloves of garlic pressed, 2 spoons of oregano, 1 spoon of pepper, 1 spoon of coriander cut into pieces, 1 onion cut into pieces, 3 pounds of local vegetables (yams, yuca, plantains, 1 ear of corn cut into small pieces, and salt.
- Season chicken with garlic, oregano and pepper
- Sauté in a saucepan over medium heat
- Add the coriander by setting aside for the final filling, onion, and water. Water should cover chicken
- Boil and reduce heat. Simmer for about 20 minutes
- Prepare the vegetables and add them in the preparation.
- Leave to cook for about 1 hour (until the vegetables are tender). Add water during cooking so vegetables are always covered.
- Then add the corn and cook for another 15 minutes (until the corn is tender).
- Add salt and stir regularly.
Serve and enjoy this delight!
The Empanadas are a kind of pastries that you can stuff with chicken, beef or cheese.
- 2 spoons of olive oil
- 1 pound of ground turkey
- 1 pound chicken
- 2 spoons of salt
- 1 spoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 cup 1/2 finely chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons of pressed garlic
- 1 green pepper, minced
- 2 sliced jalapeños
- 4 seeded and sliced tomatoes
- 1 spoon of thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon of hot pepper
- 1/2 spoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup of raisins
- 3 spoons of red wine vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of water
- 1 pound of dough
- Mix the chicken, turkey, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper
- Heat the oil and brown the meat. Set it aside.
- In the same saucepan, brown the onions, peppers and garlic until tender
- Put the meat back into the saucepan
- Add tomatoes, grapes, vinegar, thyme, jalapeños, and nutmeg
- Simmer until meat is tender (about 40 minutes), stirring regularly
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Beat egg and water
- Roll out the dough
- Cut circles approximately 12 cm
- Add a serving size to the center of each circle
- Fold the circle of dough into 2 and glue the edges with a fork
- Drill the tops with the fork
- Brush both sides of the pastry with the beaten egg
- Heat to 375ºF for 15 minutes
Serve warm or at room temperature. Unbelievable!
The Ropa Vieja
A delicious dish made with beef and rice. Trying is adopting!
- 1kg of beef to be frayed (rib-flat, paleron, scoter, or twin)
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 branch of coriander
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 pinch of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 small box of peeled tomatoes
- 1 small box of tomato concentrate
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 spoon of Worcestershire sauce.
- Boil water in a pressure cooker, salt, pepper, add a clove of pressed garlic and coriander
- Put the meat in the pan and simmer for 45 minutes after the valve starts
- Allow the steam to escape and allow to cool before fraying the meat by hand.
- Keep broth
- Chop the onion and squeeze the garlic
- Cut peppers into small cubes
- Heat oil in a sauté pan and sauté onion, garlic and peppers
- Add cumin and paprika, then stir
- Pour the tomatoes and cook for a few more minutes
- Add shredded meat, tomato paste, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce.
- Salt and pepper. Add 2 cups of broth
- Simmer over medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- Cook rice to accompany.
Serve warm and enjoy!